Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Caroline Douglas- Art and Meaning

'Hobby Llama' Salt Fired Stoneware at cone 10 14"x9"x7"

"What meaning does doing art have for you?"

Art has been a part of my life since as early as I can
remember. The process of making art is a time of joy
and delight, and has often been very healing for me.
After a severe head injury, I created collages and small
pieces to help in my recovery. I would make a bust and
think it was done. The next day I could see that the
eyes or shoulders were not straight, and I would work on
correcting that. That process helped my brain to heal.
One year during this time, I created a 365-day journal in
clay. Each day I gave myself permission to make anything,
whatever I felt like making, with the only stipulation
being that I spend only 20 minutes. Some days I just
poked holes in clay as a way of soothing my nervous
system. I displayed the whole year in calendar form at
the library. It was very empowering.

Art is my way of connecting with myself and my world,
and expressing the joy and wonder of life.

Caroline's links:
www.carolinedouglas.net
www.carolinedouglas.blogspot.com
Her email is: caroline_douglas@comcast.net
Her phone is: 303.746.2530

10 comments:

Jeane Myers said...

Caroline, this is so inspiring - an exciting idea, creating a piece each day for a year - I can only imagine how powerful that was - you are one of my fav artists of all time as you know - Katherine, thanks for highlighting Caroline's work - she is amazing and I am fortunate enough to have one of her large works in my home!

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Beautifully said. Your art making is so connected to your healing process and your source of joy...easily seen in this "Hobby Llama"

Sharon Barfoot said...

I am positive the art making stimulates our immune system and Caroline shows that here. Her work is lovely. Thank you for introducing a new artist to me Katherine.

ArtPropelled said...

I'm sure Caroline's pieces are a tonic for all who view them and I definitely vouch for art as healer. Love the quirky Hobby Lama!

RK said...

beautiful post.

Katherine said...

Jeane lucky you! I love Caroline's work.

Katherine said...

Mary Ann I like what you say. It is so true that it is clear to see the healing properties and joy of Caroline's work

Katherine said...

Your welcome Zappha. I like your immune theory. I agree.

Katherine said...

Robyn I hope you go visit her site and see more, I think you would really enjoy them.

Katherine said...

Glad you enjoyed it Rachel.