Sunday, April 5, 2009

Mark Horst , Art and Meaning

"Seated Figure No. 9, 36"x36" Oil on Canvas. 2008"

What is the meaning of doing art for you?

"If there weren’t something that remains hidden from
us much of the time, something precious and wild, I don’t
suppose I would bother with painting.

I do love paint. I love the smell of the linseed oil and the
raw colors squeezed from the tube. And I do love painting:
standing before the easel; the open window of a fresh canvas;
the first brush stroke of paint dripping and clear; the
deliciousness of seeing shapes and patterns and shifts
of value and intensity.

But for me painting is—above all—a way of being present.
It is the daily practice of paying attention with enough
intensity that when the hidden world steps closer, I have
a chance of noticing it; so that when the wolf stops to sniff
the air outside my window, I can catch a glimpse of her."
Mark Horst

Mark's work can be seen at:
www.flickr.com/photos/markhorst/
Mark's blog is:
http://www.markhorst-studionotes.blogspot.com/

Mark's email is:
horst.mark@gmail.com

10 comments:

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Beautiful and strong painting and beautiful and strong words. Bravo!

Anonymous said...

a wonderful piece, i guess to paint is to be absorbed totally, ever noticed how time does not exist when you paint? i now have a clock in my art room to remind me of time and the other things i have to do... i rarely use it:)

Katherine said...

Thank you Blue Sky for stopping by and commenting on Mark's beautiful work and wisdom!

Katherine said...

Rahina that to me is one of the best things about creativity, that it taps into the timeless.

Sunrise Sister said...

Wow, a lovely painting and strong statement re his work. Bravo Mark and bravo Katherine. Love the interview format!

Don Gray said...

This is a great and generous idea, Katherine. Thank you for introducing me to Mark's fine paintings and thoughts.

Katherine said...

Thanks Sunrise Sister. It is a thrill to get this project going and I have about 4 artists more ready to go.

Katherine said...

Thank you Don. It's a vision manifest so I don't feel too generous, I feel fed by the words and pictures that are being sent my way.

Dean Grey said...

I like how Mark captured the figure here.

It almost looks like the male nude is being formed or deconstructed before our eyes.

Very cool!

-Dean

Katherine said...

Dean thanks for visiting. You might go to his flickr photostream it is full of his yummy paintings.